On February 14th, you have a chance to exchange cards, candy, gifts or flowers with your special “valentine.” The day of romance we call Valentine’s Day actually has origins in the Roman holiday Lupercalia, however, it is named for a Christian martyr and dates back to the 5th century.
Here are 13 delightful Valentine’s Day quotes for you to enjoy. They come from the likes of John Updike, Percy Bysshe Shelley, and even Rumi. They’re at times full of wisdom, at times funny, and at times so overly romantic that they may actually melt your heart. Only on Valentine’s Day do we get away with being excessively dreamy and starry-eyed.
Share one of these 13 quotes with your special someone and make him or her feel extra special this February 14th. Valentine’s Day is all about spreading the love, and if there’s one thing that these charming quotes do, it’s just that. True, they’re so sweet that they might make you gag, but we all need a little bit of that in our lives now and again. Right? Right.
Quotes for Valentine’s day
- “The Eskimos had fifty-two names for snow because it was important to them: there ought to be as many for love.” — Margaret Atwood
- “A kiss makes the heart young again and wipes out the years.” — Rupert Brooke
- “The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.” — Rumi
- “Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever.” — Audre Lorde
- “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” — A. A. Milne
- “It is the passion that is in a kiss that gives to it its sweetness; it is the affection in a kiss that sanctifies it.” — Christian Nestell Bovee
- “Love shall be our token; love be yours and love be mine.” — Christina Rossetti
- “Look, there’s no metaphysics on earth like chocolates.” — Fernando Pessoa
- “We are most alive when we’re in love.” — John Updike
- “When you love someone all your saved up wishes start coming out.” — Elizabeth Bowen
- “The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing.” — Blaise Pascal
- “If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.” — Michel de Montaigne
- “Soul meets soul on lovers’ lips.” — Percy Bysshe Shelley
Treat your special person with one of our stunning bags – shop here: